The EU-Umweltbüro in Vienna was founded in 1994 as a competence center for European environmental policy and legislation and is integrated within Umweltdachverband, the largest Austrian umbrella organization of environmental protection organizations. The core competencies of the EU-Umweltbüro are comprehensive knowledge of the political legislative process at European level and information about current and future developments in the field of EU environmental policy. The recent director represents the Austrian member organization on the board of the European Environmental Bureau (EEB) in Brussels, Europe’s largest network of environmental citizens' organisations.
We stand for sustainable development, environmental justice & participatory democracy.
The goals of the EU-Umweltbüro are:
- to inform the public about European developments
- to support non-governmental and civil society organizations with their work at the European level
- Promote communication between policy makers and civil society
- Timely and well-founded information on developments in the environmental field at the European level
- Publications, background analyses and publications
- Workshops and seminars
- Events on politically relevant environmental issues
- A platform for the exchange of different stakeholders on the Austrian and European level
- Contacts in non-governmental organizations across Europe
The office is financially supported by the EU Environment Coordination Department of the Ministry of Climate.